Female teen losing hair

Q: Hello! I am a 15 year old Asian female and for more than a month now, I've noticed that my hair has been thinning and I think I'm losing hair. That's because on the right side of my hair, at the front area, you can often see my scalp and the hair there is very little. The thinning is pretty much all on the right side. For example further back, near the middle of where the hair joins together.. you can see the line where it meets and it (towards the right side) has become very low. I have an overactive thyroid condition, and about 6 weeks ago I took radioactive iodine.. and it should be becoming underactive. I wanted to know if that contributed to hair loss, or is it just a period that will pass? Thank you very much!

A:   Hair loss or alopecia could be due to hereditary conditions or medical problems. There are a wide range of medical conditions that may cause hair loss. Thyroid disorders, anemia, polycystic ovary syndrome, psoriasis and dermatitis all may cause hair loss.
Since you've mentioned that you've had hyperthyroidism, this may explain your hair loss. If your thyroid gland is overactive or underactive, your hair may fall out. This hair loss usually can be helped by treatment thyroid disease.