Female Urinating Problem

Patient

Q: I know this sounds crazy, but it feels as if I am urinating from my vagina and has been for a while. I remember urinating from my urethra when I was younger, but I feel since becoming sexually active about 5 years ago I urinate from my vagina. When I urinate while having a tampon in, the tampon immediately enlarges like it was dipped in a cup of water but it is never a dark yellow color. In the last year I have had 2-3 yeast infections and BV twice and I was wondering if this urinating problem could be causing those? What could be wrong with me? I have read some on maybe having a fistula, but what causes them?

Doctor

A:   It seems you may indeed have a fistula. A fistula is abnormal connection between two organs, in this case your urinary tract and your reproductive tract (Urogenital Fistula). To determine what may have caused this fistula, the exact location must first be determined. Some causes of urogenital fistulas:

Prolonged Childbirth
C-Section delivery
Tumors
Pelvic surgery (removal of uterus, removal of fibroids, surgery on rectum or colon)

See your doctor for a complete evaluation. Identification of the fistula quite often suggests the underling factor.