Fertility related problem

Ask The Doctor > Uncategorized > Fertility related problem

Patient: Me and my husband have been trying for a baby for the last one year. My gynae asked me to get my blood tests done. I took them on day3 of my periods and I was fasting for 12 hours before the test.I took the test 2 hours after waking up in the morning. The results are1)gucose (fasting)- 94mg/dL2)FSH-4.72U/L3)LH-6.71U/L4)Prolactin68.9ug/L5)TSH-1.4mIU/LDo you think the results look normal?From what I understand prolactin seems to be on the higher side, but is it because I took it early in the morning. I otherwise have regular periods.Thanks. Neha

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query,Yes, your prolactin levels are high and also the fasting sugar levels as per the IADPS G criteria. Prolactin secretion can cause galactorrhoea or discharge from breast and not because the sample was taken early in the morning but probably there may be microprolactinoma in the pituitary gland or increased stimulation from hypothalamus of pituitary to secrete more prolactin which hinders ovulation and can cause infertility. It is hence necessary that you may be evaluated for microprolactinomas by MRI BRAIN and if ruled out then can be placed on dopamine agonists like bromocriptine or cabergoline to regulate the prolactin levels and improve fertility.Regards

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No