Fetal Movement at Twenty Weeks

Patient

Q: I am 20 weeks pregnant with my first child. I have been feeling some movements not 100% sure what it is. I'm sure it's the baby. But in the past few days I'm not feeling the same thing. It feels more like pressure pokes around bladder and some days I feel nothing at all. Should I be concerened about not feeling things on a regular basis?

Doctor

A:   I realize your worry about your probable fetal movements. Quickening are the first fetal movements felt, usually in first time mothers these movements are felt between 18 to 22 weeks of pregnancy. You might have felt your baby’s first movements.
Since you are in the second trimester of your pregnancy, fetal movements are still irregular and not present daily yet, they could be noticed one far from the other and randomly presented. You should not worry about this; your baby is still moving but just not strong enough.
Certainly after 28 weeks you should start taking notice of them regularly and usually presented in the same time of the day. It might be beneficial to take notes of your baby’s movements once they become regular. I wish you the best.