Fever after flu shot

Patient

Q: My son is 9 months old. he just got the flu shot today and now his temp is 101.9. i dont know if i should take him to the emergency room or not. i have already given him tylenol for the fever.

Doctor

A:   Fever is a common side effect caused by the flu shot as well as body aches and soreness on the injection site. Usually the symptoms last for a day or two.
I agree with the fever treatment already started by yourself, I would also suggest you to apply physical methods to reduce the fever such as wearing light clothing, lukewarm showers, keep him well hydrated and place humid compresses in your son’s armpits. If the fever does not go down within 24 hours, I would suggest you to take him to the ER to avoid complications such as dehydration or seizures. I wish him a prompt recovery.