Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Fever coming on with taking a steroid and pain medicine

Fever coming on with taking a steroid and pain medicine

Patient: Fever coming on with taking a steroid and pain medicine. What do I do?

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. I understand your concern.You have not mentioned the basic reason for which you ha ve been given steroid. I suppose you have received steroid for pain relief due to low back pain. Actually steroids can lower down the immunity and you can catch any infection. Moreover, if there is any underlying infection, steroids will aggravate it.I would advice you to bring this to notice of your doctor, so that he can give you broad spectrum antibiotics to fight with the infection and he would also evaluate the cause if the fever. You have not given me your detailed history but a lot many times, Tuberculosis of spine is responsible for the pain in back and that aggravates on taking steroids.Share my opinion with your doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy