Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Fever, diarreha, muscle aches, nausea and fatigue – What do i do?

Fever, diarreha, muscle aches, nausea and fatigue – What do i do?

Patient: Hello, my boyfriend who is 18 and i just recently moved to edmonton from oshawa, ontario. Since being here he has started a job doing a fair amount of labour. After a couple of days doing that he has been experiencing heat flashes, feverish temperatures, diarreha, muscle aches, nausea and is pretty tired.I was wondering if this was some kind of stomach flu or something more serious? Also, he recently stopped smocking marijuana and is cutting down on cigarettes

Doctor: It seems that your boyfriend may have either picked up the flu/stomach flu or maybe due to marijuana withdrawal dependin g on how long back he stopped it ( symptoms include : anxiety, decreased appetite and mood,.restlessness , insomnia etc). However the fever and the genalised muscle ache seem more likely to be either a viral infection or a flu.Tell him to drink lots of fluids, decrease the work load and take antipyretics like tylenol or advil. It should run its course of 5-7 days and then improve. In case the symptoms are not improving or getting worse then please take him to his family physician to rule out other possibilities.