Fibrosis

Patient : Hello recently i was in the hospital and on the med papers i got on release said i have ( small bands of atelectasis versus fibrosis in the lower left lung base. can you tell me what that is please?
Doctor :   I understand your concern about the results from your lung tests. Atelectasis are total or partial areas or collapsed lu ng, usually caused by trapped mucus, tiny areas of fibrosis or a foreign object which is more common in children. Let me reassure you that according to the description of your lung test, they point an area in the base of your left lung that might suggest fibrosis which is an area of scarring in your lung, an area that is not mobile and due to this, atelectasis developed. This might or might not get worse in the future, I would certainly recommend you to avoid smoking and follow up with your Pneumologist yearly. I wish you the best.