Finding my right birth control, for safer sex

Q: I have had bad reactions to a lot of different types of birth controls. I got severe cramping from the patch, went bi-polar from tricyclen-lo and ortho-cyclen, and was hospitalized from Alesse. I am afraid to have the shot done because I fear I will have side effects, and would not consider the UID because of the chances of it attaching on the inside. What are my options??

A:   You may have the following options:
- Barrier contraceptives are devices that provide a physical barrier between the sperm and the egg such as the female condom, diaphragm, cervical cap, and sponge. These devices are self-inserted over the cervix prior to intercourse. Also the cervical cap and the diaphragm comes in different sizes and your doctor needs to confirm your size for proper fitting.
- Vaginal spermicides are sperm-killing substances available as foams, creams, gels, films, or suppositories, and are often used in female contraception with barrier and other devices.
- Natural family planning methods like temperature method - to plan sexual activities according to the body temperature changes associated with ovulation, cervical mucus method - in which the mucus changes are noted to plan for sex, and calender method - abstain from intercourse from day 8 through day 19 of each cycle, provided one has regular cycles.
- Implant contraception that involves inserting a rod under the skin and this implant releases into the bloodstream tiny amounts of the hormone progestin.