Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Finding my right birth control, for safer sex

Finding my right birth control, for safer sex

Patient: I have had bad reactions to a lot of different types of birth controls. I got severe cramping from the patch, went bi-polar from tricyclen-lo and ortho-cyclen, and was hospitalized from Alesse. I am afraid to have the shot done because I fear I will have side effects, and would not consider the UID because of the chances of it attaching on the inside. What are my options??

Doctor: You may have the following options:- Barrier contraceptives are devices that provide a physical barrier between the sp erm and the egg such as the female condom, diaphragm, cervical cap, and sponge. These devices are self-inserted over the cervix prior to intercourse. Also the cervical cap and the diaphragm comes in different sizes and your doctor needs to confirm your size for proper fitting.- Vaginal spermicides are sperm-killing substances available as foams, creams, gels, films, or suppositories, and are often used in female contraception with barrier and other devices.- Natural family planning methods like temperature method – to plan sexual activities according to the body temperature changes associated with ovulation, cervical mucus method – in which the mucus changes are noted to plan for sex, and calender method – abstain from intercourse from day 8 through day 19 of each cycle, provided one has regular cycles.- Implant contraception that involves inserting a rod under the skin and this implant releases into the bloodstream tiny amounts of the hormone progestin.