Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Finding tumors in someobe with breast implants

Finding tumors in someobe with breast implants

Patient: Dear Doctor,1. Some doctors say that identifying tumors are easier after having breast implants. However, others say that there is a 20 percent chance of not being able to find tumors with breast implants. Who is right and who is wrong? What is your opinion?2. May you suggest any plastic;cosmetic surgeon who is good at blepharoplasty and breast implants from Dallas;Fort Worth;Arlington, Texas?Thank you for your time. I look forward to hear from you. Please have a great day.Sincerely,Helen

Doctor: Thank you for your question.Screening for breast cancer is important for all women. Breast implants are placed eith er below the breast tissue above the muscle (pectoralis) or below the muscle. In either plane, the implant lies deep to the breast tissue allowing your doctor to be able to palpate and examine all the breast tissue adequately to check for any lumps or irregularities. Also, when obtaining a mammogram, it is important to inform the technician that you have breast implants. They will employ a technique where they compress the breast between the plates and ensure the implant is not included in the image. This is known as EKLUND VIEWS.Unfortunately, I cannot recommend any specific surgeon for you but will advise you to seek a board certified plastic surgeon to perform your operation.