Finger locked during wrestling: Joint Hypermobility

Q: I was in an all day wrestling tournament, and when it came to my final match of the day, a couple of my fingers in each hand got locked to my palm during the match. This is not a normal thing for me, and only happens when I am in wrestling tournaments. What causes this locking of my fingers and how can I avoid it?

A:    Some individuals have joints, ligaments, and tendons more elastic and flexible than others, which is called Joint Hypermobility, especially teenagers are very flexible, if during a competition in a sport such as wrestling , an extra stress is applied to various joint in your body, hands particularly, you will have more chance to have that “lock of fingers” which is a subluxation of the metacarpal joints. You could wear protection hand bandages but this is not going to avoid totally the possible happening of a subluxation. Just be aware that your activity I wrestling can be included or considered as a cause of Repetitive stress injuries (RSIs), which  are injuries that happen when too much stress is placed on a part of the body, resulting in inflammation (pain and swelling), muscle, tendon, ligaments  strain, or tissue damage. This stress generally occurs from repeating the same movements over and over again, with no enough healing time so they are also called “overuse syndrome”.