Finger Sprained or fracture?

Patient

Q: Here is my question, I've got my finger sprained while playing soccer(Goaltender). My finger became very painfull, swollen and red by the joint. I was able to move my finger but it caused pain. It's been almost three weeks now and my finger is still swollen like the first day, and the pain is still there during used. Is it sprained if so to which degree, or is it a small fracture by the joint? What will a I need to do to treat it? Thank-you for answering.

Doctor

A:   The only way to determine accurately if you have a sprain (tendinitis) or a fracture is taking X rays of your hand, if three weeks have passed since the initial injury and you still have pain, tenderness, swelling and movement limitation in your finger, I strongly recommend that you get an evaluation: clinical and imaging of your hand by a orthopedic surgeon, hand specialist.