Finger tip pain

Q: For a few years I have had problems with the tip of my right index finger.
I get an acute electric like pain followed be a short aching pain. This is sudden but intermittent and seems to be unrelated to any activity. Recently, as well as in the finger tip the pain is migrating to the joint (first) and I seem to be getting a cyst or module, still very small, above the joint towards the finger nail.
I did see my dr a yr ago and he didn't know what it is, and did not suggest any further investigation. I also have a hot right hand as opposed to the left.
Any advice?