Fingers stiff after surgery for broken forearm

Patient

Q: I had a surgery of radius and ulna of right hand. My hand was in plaster for three months. Doctor put a rod in it. My problem is, after removing plaster my wrist and finger became stiff. I had a physio for 2 weeks but only wrist became free. Fingers are still stiff and cannot be moved. I need help, what should I do to make it move.

Doctor

A:   It seems you would benefit form continued physical therapy specifically aimed at improving the movement in your fingers. It is not uncommon for joints to become stiff after prolonged period without use. Physical therapy is usually all that is required to rectify this problem. Your therapist will also give exercises that you can do on your own to shorten your recovery time.