First 6 months after child birth

Q: Hello. So I had a baby 5 months ago. Since then I have gotten regular periods except for my most recent which lasted for 3 weeks and stopped last week. I now am having trouble falling asleep. It can take anywhere from 3-7 hours to fall asleep at night. And I am having nausea in the late afternoons or after I eat something. And I have also been having diarrhea for 4 days. I'm not sure the cause of any of this, the only thing I could think of was maybe that I was pregnant again. Do you have any ideas?

Symptoms:  Diarrhea, nausea, trouble falling asleep

A:   You can take a home pregnancy test whenever and on any day of the cycle, if you think you are having pregnancy symptoms. It is unlikely to be pregnant after a period that lasted 3 weeks. Still if you are anxious about the possibility of a pregnancy, just go ahead and get tested.
The symptoms that you described seem to suggest that you are either having a gastrointestinal infection (that is usually a self limiting viral diarrhea) or an anxiety related disorder that is having physical manifestations.
It takes time to get accustomed to a new baby at home and the physical and emotional toll of being a new mother can be quite draining. Lack of sleep, lack of appetite, nausea are just signs of fatigue. Are you sure you are being cared for as well along with the baby's care? A healthy dose of multivitamins, calcium supplements and a generous dose of caring for yourself should help you treat yourself. If you feel your symptoms are worsening or not getting better, seeking professional advice would be a good idea.