Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > First, my surgeon was supposed to do my surgery but

First, my surgeon was supposed to do my surgery but

Patient: First, my surgeon was supposed to do my surgery but he was never in the operating room only his assistant was, never saw him in there. Second, my anesthesiologist refused to give me a nerve block upon my request I knew the risks of it and he still talked to me like I was stupid and didn’t know what I was talking about. Then he told me I was going to be given a local anesthetic upon my request, I never signed a consent form for him which leads me to believe he mildly sedated me. So is any of this ok in the slightest?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.The type of surgery and the complications expected from it, the duration of surgery al l determine the nature of anesthesia to be given.Minor procedures lasting for shorter durations do not require a regional block, they can be done with a short general anesthesia, and even mild sedation.Only longer procedures need a spinal or regional anesthesia or even a general anesthesia.Hence, the doctor is justified in giving a sedation and going ahead with the procedure. If you have not had any post- operative complications after the procedure and you are healthy now, there is nothing to think on this. Focus on the next plan of action regarding your treatment.Hope this helped.Regards