First time sex and 16 years old with late period. Could I be pregnant?

Patient

Q: So I had my first time in the weekend with my boyfriend and it hurt a lot, but the real problem is that my period was 3 days late, It has only just arrived but it is light and really light pink colour. I read online and it said I might be pregnant, I am 16 and freaking out!

Doctor

A:   Dear patient, It is good that you went through literature before seeking advise. Ok let me know on which day of your menstrual cycle you had your intercourse? And how many days cycle you regularly have? Is your current period just like spotting or regular in volume? As you had the sex for the first time pain may be due to intact hymen layer which had torn out or due to vaginismus. You can use a lubricant if you feel discomfort during intercouse from next time onwards. If its still paining you can take some pain medication. And don't worry you go to the pharmacy and get the urine pregnancy kit and get the test done. If it is negative you don't worry at all, if it is positive it means you are pregnant and you consult your gynaecologist.