First time with penetration

Patient

Q: I'm at the age where I'm worrying about sex and want to know what it's like before I do it. I recently purchased a dildo and decided to try it for the first time. It was really painful and I couldn't get more than a couple of inches in after trying for a while - at first I couldn't get it in at all. Also, when I removed it, I went to feel myself and my finger was covered in blood. I am due my period around this time but so I'm not sure if that would bring it on or whether you can bleed the heavy from first penetration. Is this all normal?

Symptoms:  Pain, bleeding
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. This is a normal phenomenon that occurs from penetration for the first time. In females who have not had sexual intercourse before there is a thin membrane called the hymen. The hymen is a thin membrane that surrounds or partially covers the external vaginal opening. During penetration the hymen is ruptured and can bleed. This experience can also be painful. As you become more sexually active this pain will go away. It is important that if you are going to have sexual intercourse with your partner, please use barrier protection to prevent sexual transmitted infections and pregnancy. It may also be time to consider starting oral contraceptive medication to prevent unwanted pregnancies as well. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com