Fish oil: Benefits, possible side effects and dosage

Q: What is the purpose for taking fish oil pills

A:   Fish oil, made from the tissue of oily fish-such as salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, lake trout and sardines-has many health benefits.
The fish oil pills contain Omega 3 which is an essential fatty acid (EFA), “essential” because the body cannot synthesize them on its own. They must be provided through food and/or food supplements. EFA’s are a key element in cell production and renewal, seem to support good mood , improve blood circulation and they are essential to every living cell.
There are two Omega 3 fatty acids: eicosapentaenoic or EPA, and Decosahexaenoic acidor DHA; they seem to work in synergy making supplements that contain both, the most beneficial.  Omega 3 fatty acids must be acquired from good quality sources on a regular, consistent basis in order to be utilized for optimal health. It´s nearly impossible to provide our bodies with a safe, sufficient source of this nutrient through diet alone, so researchers and doctors recommend taking a pure, safe, pharmaceutical grade Omega 3 Fish Oil supplement daily.
Side effects to consuming these supplements that one should be aware of: generally, . However, fish oil does have a slight -an effect that helps to explain why it is so beneficial for heart health, and an effect that is not necessarily bad in and of itself. This blood thinning effect can though. This is especially important to consider if you are taking other blood thinning herbs or medication, because concurrent use of blood thinning medications or herbs may increase the risks of bleeding. The fact that fish oil causes blood thinning and thus increases the risk of bleeding, the should be and it is extremely important that you if you are taking fish oil supplements so your doctor can advise you as to the proper procedure that should be taken in preparation for surgery. The FDA does not have a specific recommended dosage for fish oil. However, the FDA does recommend that an .