What are these slightly raised, flesh colored bumps on my penis shaft? (Image)

Ask The Doctor > STDs > What are these slightly raised, flesh colored bumps on my penis shaft? (Image)

Patient: About a week ago I shave the hair on my penis. Within the last week I have also had protected sex (with condoms) with several sex workers. This morning I noticed a slightly raised, painless, flesh-colored bump on my penis shaft close to the base. It looks like a hair follicle is on the side, but I’m not sure if this is relevant. Is it likely that this is an STD or merely folliculitis? Would HPV appear within a week of exposure?

Symptoms: Small painless bump, flesh colored, with a hair follicle close by.

Flesh colored bump on penis-1 Flesh colored bump on penis-1 Flesh colored bump on penis-1

Doctor: Thanks for your question to Ask The Doctor. Considering the history and the location of the lesions, at the base of penis it is ascertained that the condoms probably haven’t covered the base of penis during intercourse with sex workers. The picture depicts 3 shiny, raised papules of the dorm of the skin with indentation, which gives a typical picture of an STD called MOLLUSCUM CONTAGIOSUM. This is a viral infection and can be seen in sexually active men/women, immunodeficient people or children. Molluscum contagiosum lesions are flesh-colored, dome-shaped, and pearly in appearance. They are often 1–5 millimeters in diameter, with a dimpled centre. They are generally not painful, but they may itch or become irritated. Picking or scratching the bumps may lead to further infection or scarring. In about 10% of the cases, eczema develops around the lesions. They may occasionally be complicated by secondary bacterial infections.The viral infection is limited to a localized area on the topmost layer of the epidermis. Once the virus-containing head of the lesion has been destroyed, the infection is gone. Surgical treatments include cryosurgery, in which liquid nitrogen is used to freeze and destroy lesions, as well as scraping them off with a curette.you may visit your physician and discuss the options in detail and take an informed decision.

Patient: Hi. I’m not sure if you can tell from the pictures but there is only one raised bump. Everything else is flat. Does that change your conclusion? Also, wouldn’t it take weeks and not (6) days for signs of molluscum to appear?

Doctor: the picture appears to be that of a molluscum though and doesn’t fit into any other lesion. Its still advised that you must get a local examination and a swab culture test to determine the diagnosis or to rule out an std. That shall be more appropriate.

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No