Flu or dengue

Q: Let me start by saying I am a student from a university in Brazil and I am very curious and interested in subjects related to health problems and treatments. My name is Denise, I am Brazilian and I am studying to be a nurse and I have an important question that will help the ones who are studying too. How is it possible to know if a person has flu or dengue? The symptoms are very similar and it is difficult to see the difference. Can I use the same treatment for both cases?
Dengue is a very common disease in our continent and I believe this doubt is socially relevant to any Brazilian.
I was doing a research online and I came across your website. And I am sure you are able to help me as soon as possible.
Thanks for your attention and time.