x
181 Physicians Online

Question:

Flu over but sore throat still there?

I've recently had a mild bout of flu (fever 38.5c for one day and night, aching muscles, headache) and feels much better now, except for being more tired than usual. However, my sore throat is refusing to go away - instead of being sore they are just dry and can feel painful if I don't keep drinking water. They are the driest and hurts the most when I wake up in the morning. Is it because my sore throat is not fully healed in my flu, despite that I no longer have a fever and other symptoms, or could it be something else? Could it simply be indoor heating and autumn season making air particularly dry? I live in England. Thanks!

Answer:

Flu usually lasts about 4-10 days. The dry throat and irritation may last even longer. If indoor heating is causing problem, you may try to use a humidifier at your home. The symptoms of flu go away within a week. It is advisable to keep proper hygiene and wash hands regularly. If your symptoms don't improve, please consult your family physician or an otolaryngologist.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Patrick Golden M.D.

• Board Certified Cardiologist
  • Founder AskTheDoctor.com
  • Practices in Fresno, CA