Flu Vaccine for Individuals who have already had the Flu

Patient

Q: If someone gets the "flu" and is not tested to see which type it is, how would that person know whether or not to proceed with a seasonal flu shot and/or the swine flu shot later on? Thank you.

Doctor

A:   The flu vaccine contains multiple different strains of the flu virus that scientists think will be prevalent during the flu season.  It is used as part of a preventive approach - along with proper hand hygiene to reduce the incidence and impact of the flu season.
If you were to have gotton the flu earlier in the year or even during flu season, the flu shot will still protect you aginst the other starins of the virus contained in the vaccine.  Thus, it is still a great idea to get the flu shot.