Flying and blood clots

Q: Is is safe to fly after having recent pulmonary embolisms and only been on Xarelto for 1 week?

Symptoms:  Recent hospitalization for pulmonary emblolisms(following ACL injury)

A:   Thank you for your question. If you have had a recent pulmonary embolism your risk of complications an increase due to the changes in air pressure while flying. If the clot is still present and it is has only been a week, it may not be safe for your to fly at this time. You will need to be monitored for several weeks before you are given clearance by your doctor before flying. Sudden changes in air pressure can cause the embolism to move to deeper portions of the lungs, leading you to have an acute onset of shortness of breath, which could be life threatening while flying. Please follow your doctors instructions, and consult them as to when you will be safe to fly.

Thank you for consulting