Flying with superficial Plebitis

Patient

Q: Just diagnosed with superficial phlebitis this morning in hand from IV insertion. I have to fly very early in the morning a short flight. Should I have any concerns?

Symptoms:  Superficial Phlebitis
Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

From your description, you have a superficial phlebitis over the iv line insertion site. Superficial phlebitis is not a major cause of concern and you can definitely travel by flight.

Kindly apply Thrombophobe ointment over the site of phlebitis. You can apply it 2-3 times daily and the phlebitis should subside in a couple of days. If you have a lot of pain you can take Tylenol SOS for relief.

Very rarely, it can progress to a localized abscess. In that situation kindly visit a surgeon, and get an incision and drainage under local anaesthesia, which is a minor procedure.

Hope this was helpful,