Foot drop from diabetes nerve damage

Patient

Q: I was just diagnoses with foot drop caused by nerve damage by uncontrolled diabetethe question I have is will this heal by itself or will i have to have a procedure done to correct the nerve damage?

Doctor

A:   The recovery of the foot drop depends on the cause and its treatment to prevent further damage to the nerve and assure complete recovery. In your case, complete control of diabetes is the first step in the management of foot drop, along with foot exercises, ankle foot or shoe clasp orthosis, nerve stimulation and if these methods fail to improve the condition, surgery would then be the next available option to align the foot and the ankle for better outcomes.

The recovery of the foot drop depends on the cause and its treatment to prevent further damage to the nerve and assure complete recovery. In your case, complete control of diabetes is the first step in the management of foot drop, along with foot exercises, ankle foot or shoe clasp orthosis, nerve stimulation and if these methods fail to improve the condition, surgery would then be the next available option to align the foot and the ankle for better outcomes.