Foot pain after start running routine

Q: I just started becoming more active. 2 weeks ago I started walking to school (which is about a 30 minute walk there and back) and doing some circuit training (involving jumping jacks, lunges and things like that). Last week I added running to my workout. I starting running on Sunday for about half an hour a day. Then on Wednesday I notice that my foot was hurting really bad. It is only my right foot, and the pain is on the inside of the foot toward the top right next to the tendon that goes to my big toe. I tried icing it and staying off it, but it is 5 days later and it still hurts. Is this a normal foot injury that people get when just starting to work out? or maybe am I due to get new running shoes? If this isn't normal should I go to the doctor?

A:   The problem that you described often is caused by wearing poor fitting shoes, fallen arches (flat feet), and plantar fasciitis or overweight, these are the 4 most common causes of foot pain in absence of a trauma antecedent. Try to wear cushioned footwear, avoid uncomfortable shoes, and if you exercise do a warm up before with an adequate stretch, avoid putting excessive strain on your feet and if you are overweight you can lose weight if you need it. You also may take anti inflammatory medication (“Aleve”, “Motrin”) and see if they work relieving the pain. If you try all of the above and poor improvement is noted, then I suggest you a consultation with a specialist (podiatrist).