Foot pain and tenderness

Patient : Recently I started playing football. Ever since it has hurt quite badly to turn my foot inwards. This problem is affecting my ability to run. Even after taking multiple weeks off and icing it it still is not feeling better. Any thoughts?
Symptoms:  Foot pain
Doctor :   Thank you for your question. It is possible that your foot pain could be caused by irritation to the ligaments of the an kle. These are commonly injured during ankle sprains but can become inflamed by excessive sprinting, such as in football. We recommend that you have your ankle and foot examined by your doctor and have an x-ray performed to make sure there are no stress or hairline fractures. Once cleared you may be require to take some time away from competition in order to heal and when you ready to play again, you may need to wear an ankle brace to support your ankle and foot during football. Do not rush your recovery as this can cause serious re-injury, which can threaten your ability to play permanently. Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com