Foot surgery, tooth removal and shot in the elbow: are they connected?

Patient

Q: Can you have an infection in your body that effect only one side of your body? I have had to have foot surgery, tooth removal and also shot in elbow all on the Right side. The foot and elbow are still having issues the tooth had to be removed. What type of doctor do you see for this issue if it is indeed an issue

Doctor

A:   The three issues that you mentioned are independent and not related one to another. You should receive separated treatment for each and every one of the problems. On the other hand, diabetes is a known risk factor for infections and delayed healing. Diabetes can slow down your body's ability to fight infection. Many individual infections are more common in people with diabetes, including pneumonia caused by certain organisms; pyelonephritis (kidney infections); soft tissue infections, including the "diabetic foot"; necrotizing fasciitis; and mucocutaneous Candida infections. Others occur almost exclusively in diabetics: invasive (malignant) otitis externa, rhinocerebral mucormycosis (sinus problems).  Some infections result in increased severity when they occur in diabetic patients and are associated with increased complications. I suggest that you have a comprehensive evaluation by your doctor in order to rule out diabetes, in the view that you are having so many apparently not related conditions.