For tha last 4 years I been having a discharge

Patient

Q: For tha last 4 years I been having a discharge of a stinky liquid from my belly also some blood . It comes and goes. Ointment cures it for a time period but then it comes back. What can it be

For tha last 4 years I been...-1
Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query and picture.

Read and understood your problem very well. The history of stinky liquid and blood from belly button for 4 years. Mupirocin Ointment cures but then it comes back.

The commonest causes are:
- Umbilical granuloma in which there is a mass formation followed by pus and blood discharge.
- Umbilical fistula, in which there is a connection either with the urinary bladder or small intestine.

I would like to advise you the following:
- Examination and exploration by a General Surgeon. He can probe to see and confirm whether this is a granuloma or a fistula, will advise the tests accordingly.
Ultrasonography / Contrast CT scan / Fistulogram.
- Exploration and removal of the granuloma or the tract for cure.

Do not apply anything locally.

I hope this answer help you to get a perfect diagnosis and curative treatment.