Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > For tha last 4 years I been having a discharge

For tha last 4 years I been having a discharge

Patient: For tha last 4 years I been having a discharge of a stinky liquid from my belly also some blood . It comes and goes. Ointment cures it for a time period but then it comes back. What can it be

For tha last 4 years I been...-1

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query and picture.Read and understood your problem very well. The history of stinky liquid and blood from belly button for 4 years. Mupirocin Ointment cures but then it comes back.The commonest causes are:- Umbilical granuloma in which there is a mass formation followed by pus and blood discharge.- Umbilical fistula, in which there is a connection either with the urinary bladder or small intestine.I would like to advise you the following:- Examination and exploration by a General Surgeon. He can probe to see and confirm whether this is a granuloma or a fistula, will advise the tests accordingly.Ultrasonography / Contrast CT scan / Fistulogram.- Exploration and removal of the granuloma or the tract for cure.Do not apply anything locally.I hope this answer help you to get a perfect diagnosis and curative treatment.