For the last 8 years I have been having a

Patient

Q: For the last 8 years I have been having a dull pain on the lower right hand side of my abdomen, I had an ultrasound in 2009 and another one in November 2013. Results normal. For the last 5 days I have been urinating frequently. I googled the symptoms and now I'm concerned about ovarian cancer. How long does it take to develop? Should I be concerned about it? My period is due in 3 days.

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.
Read your history and I can understand your concerns well.

To recapitulate (for my sake): Female / 26 to 36 age group - dull pain rt lower abd for 8 yrs - N USG in 09 and 13 - frequent urination 5 days - googled to get a worry about ovarian cancer - Want to know the duration of development - using progesterone and DHEA

My thoughts:
Ovarian cancers usually are asymptomatic and presentation varies from case to case. By the time one really comes to know about them, it is already a bit late. So I think you should not at all worry about it unless proved or ruled out by the following.
The best way to get the anxiety and worry to go away, go for proper tests and examinations as follows:
- First of all, give the urine sample for tests of routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity before start of the antibiotics (if is good if not yet started to get the best and helpful results).
- Test of blood, Urine and stool.
- It is very important to get a proper clinical evaluation and actual examination of the abdomen and per-vaginal done by a General Surgeon and / or a Gynecologist. This always gives the information that no tests can give.
- Further tests like CT scan of eh abdomen, colonoscopy and so on need to be done as per the advise non clinical examination.
- All these exercises are not only to get the anxiety of Ovarian cancer out of mind but also to find the cause of pain in the right lower side of the abdomen and get treated properly to get symptom-free for lifetime.

I hope this answers your query. Please feel free to discuss further, ask for relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap-of-communication.

Take care