Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » For the past couple months i have been having this

For the past couple months i have been having this

Patient: For the past couple months i have been having this feeling that i cant breath. Originally in about march they said it was bronchitis, went on my way and it got better. About may this feeling came back and got checked and they said i was having allergies which ive never had before. Gave me an inhaler and some zyrtec. It doesnt get better and i go in for a yearly physical and cardiac checkup and my cardiologist tells me its probably GERD causing it because i do get heartburn and gas. He gave me omeprazole. That was 2 weeks ago and now my belching is constant, literally multiple times a minute and i feel like in suffocating. The breathing has gotten even worse and i dont know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Side info:Normal bp is 110/70Pulse in the 70s02 is always above 97% when its checked76 inches280 lbs21malecurrent meds is zyrtec and omeprazolephysical was perfect nothing out of the ordinary except for the SOBcardiac checkup was greatall bloodwork has come back normal

Symptoms: Shortness of breath, constantly belching

Doctor: Hello, Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.Following are the possibilities in your case:1. Allergic cough with post nasal drip.2. Acid refluxYour doctor will examine your chest for any wheezes/spasm and would get a Chest X-ray done. If there is any sign of allergy, he would treat you with a combination of Levocetirizine and Montelukast.In case, there is no sign of allergy, you would be treated for Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).However, i would like to rule out any evidence of Gall Bladder stones that can also cause the belching.If you have any hunger pains, any fullness of stomach or gaseous distension of abdomen after taking meals, you should go for:1. Upper GI Endoscopy- To rule out Peptic ulcers.2. Ultrasound Abdomen- To rule out Gall Bladder stones.I would advise you to take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone and to take anti-flatulent and anti-acidity syrup like Digene/Gelusil for symptomatic relief.Also, you should take soft and bland diet. You should also put a pillow below your head when you sleep. Make a habit to walk after all meals. More important here is to avoid alcohol and smoking in case you do.I hope this information helps you.If you have any further query, please ask me.Stay healthy.

Patient: I’m going to a GI Wednesday so I will ask for those 2 tests, thank you. I had a chest x ray and CT recently and both came back perfect. Assuming it’s not one of those what else could it be. Also could those be causing the shortness of breath and the suffocating feeling? Thanks

Doctor: Hi, if CT abdomen is normal then gall bladder stones are unlikely. The symptoms of breathlessness and suffocation are due to the GERD only probably.