Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > For the past five years, I am 26, I feel like I may have been struggling with a minor depressive order but have’t told anyone

For the past five years, I am 26, I feel like I may have been struggling with a minor depressive order but have’t told anyone

Patient: For the past five years, I am 26, I feel like I may have been struggling with a minor depressive order but have’t told anyone – I am good at hiding it. Also, for the past four years I have been dealing with a binging and restricting eating disorder, no purging. I had previously lost 40 pounds and am now at the point where I have gained it back and am completely lost. No one would ever guess I struggle because I am good at hiding it and look healthy (I was a former Miss Universe contestant).I am looking for someone to prescribe an anti-depressant medication and dont know where to start or who to see.Thanks so much,

Symptoms: Depression, eating disorder

Doctor: Hi,Welcome to Ask the doctor.Thanks for asking your health-related query.As per information provided by you, yo u appear to be suffering from Dysthymia and an eating disorder.Dysthymia is a kind of psychiatric disorder in which a person remains in a state of mild depression for more than two years, does not feel pleasure in pleasurable activities and for others he may appear absolutely fine. In between for few days, he may feel Normal enjoyable life. As you are experiencing minor depressive symptoms since last five years, it goes more towards Dysthymia.Secondly you have alternative binging and restricting diet schedule. This points towards the possibility of eating disorder (Anorexia/Bulimia Nervosa).Both depression and the eating disorder may co-exist in a person at the same time and fortunately, both can be treated by prescribing SSRI group of antidepressant medication.I advise you to consult a Psychiatrist nearby for confirmation of diagnosis and prescription of medicines.You may experience the benefits within a week or two after starting the therapy, but you should continue medicines for next many months for complete cure.I wish you a better health.