Four weeks post Lateral release surgery

Patient

Q: Hello, I have a thirteen year history of knee dislocations. My knee did not track in the groove properly and was severely tilted. I have had realignment surgery in the past which helped but did not correct the problem. After a dislocation last year and failed physiotherapy I had lateral release surgery four and a half weeks ago. I have five inches of wastage to the quad, so still quite weak. I have alot of pain under the kneecap when I do any leg extension or raises - I presume this is due to strength. I am concerned as in the first two weeks after surgery when bending the leg the kneecap would click out to the right. four weeks in this has stopped but I am now experiencing what can only be described as a catching or locking sensation every time I walk or bend my leg. It only lasts for a split second but is almost every other step. Its uncomfortable and concerning me. Is this a frequent complaint after lateral release? Im worried I may have over done it with physio so have started again with the ice elevation and rest but fear this may hinder my recovery more. I need advice

Doctor

A:   The 'locking sensation' you describe commonly occurs when there is a injury to meniscus. The menisci are extremely important structures in the normal functioning of the knee joint. Injury to these structures often lead to joint instability and chronic pain. You will need a MRI to determine the severity of the injury. Until then, continue to rest, ice and elevate your leg. Mild to moderate injuries can be treated with intensive physical therapy, pain medication. However, surgery may be required followed by physical therapy. The treatment regime is determined after thorough examination by an orthopedic surgeon and appropriate imaging test are done.