September 24, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Fracture and dislocation of my right knee cap

Fracture and dislocation of my right knee cap

Patient: I hurt my knee at work, I fell on the knee cap over a month ago. I’m 6 1 and 260 no history of knee problems before. A MRI was done last week and the result were shown by my doctor to me mind you I have no medical training, other than Basic first aid CPR and AED. This was a workers comp Dr. His staff told me they were going to need to send me to a bone Dr. but then he changed his mind after showing me the report. He said my Knee cap is fractured on the inside but the shell is not broken and the cap is 13 percent off center. What does this mean, do i need to see the Bone doctor? Will it heal on its own what can i do? I realize that workers comp is a game to pay out as little as possible but is been 5 weeks my foot is turning out to the right my knee is hurting and my leg experiences numbness below the knee. Its my Right knee. I have not been giving a knee brace or any medication.



Doctor: Based on your x-ray report, it seems that your fracture would have been best treated by a cast for approximately 6 weeks followed by physical therapy. Since you still have significant symptoms, I do not think that the fracture is healing as it should. You will need to see an orthopedic surgeon (bone doctor) for a full assessment . I suggest you do so as soon as possible as I am particularly concerned about the numbness you are experiencing as this could suggest possible nerve injury.




Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Manitoba. He currently operates a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

Book Appointment