Fracture of the Humerus Treatment

Patient : My 15 year old granddaughter has a spiral fracture to her upper arm just under the ball of the shoulder joint. It is very close to the growth plate. Her doctor says her pain is caused by ends of bone grinding together but is giving her no pain medication and is not imobilizing the break. In fact he is encouraging her to move her arm. How is this type of injury normally treated?
Doctor :   The usualy treatment for fractures of the humerus (bone between shoulder and elbow) is to immobilize the arm in a sling and administer pain killers such as ibuprofen. Early mobilzation is recommended and should begin after about 7-10 days. Physical therapy is then initiated after 3 weeks.