Fractured fifth finger in treatment with cast for 8 weeks

Q: I am 20 years male recently broke my pinky finger at a 70 degree angle from the middle joint up to my knucle. I done so playing basketball and im in a cast for 8 weeks. my question is when my cast is off can i give basketball 100 percent or will i want to take it easy due to a possible re-break or what i just have no ideal...ive never had a broken bone

A:   I strongly recommend to follow a physical and occupational therapy short program for at least 2 weeks in order to regain range of movement and treat pain and inflammation if you have any , after that, you should progressively increase the training demands depending on the show of pain and/or inflammation. Try to avoid activities that produce pain and remember to keep protected the finger from future injuries.