Fractured Nose and Physical Activity

Patient

Q: HI. I broke my nose and had to have it surgically realigned, they did not have to make any kind of insition, all they did was push it back into place they didnt have to rebreak the bonw either.I am a swimmer and play waterpolo so I would like to know how long should i let it heal until getting back into a swimming pool.

Doctor

A:   You have had a minor surgical procedure and since there are no incisions there is very little risk of infection. Your nose will take approximately six weeks to heal. It is perhaps best to avoid any contact sports during that time. However, you should be able to swim without any problems.