Fractured Orbital Untreated for One Year

Q: I have a fractured orbital that has been untreated for over a year. The injury itself is pretty serious, and upon touching the bone under my eye you can feel where my it is fractured. Half of the orbital bone, nearest to my nose, inverts towards my eye whereas the other half of my orbital is undamaged. What are the consequences of leaving this injury untreated?

A:   The injury has been untreated for over a year. You have not mentioned any significant symptoms such as double vision, flashing lights ,blurred vision or eye pain during that time. However your description suggests that there may be some facial deformity. Generally, such injuries are treated depending on the specific bones injured and any other organs that may have also been injured in the initial trauma. Given that it has been a year since the injury and you have not had any symptoms, I am inclined to think that there will be no meaningful consequences to leaving the injury untreated and that no major damaged was done. However, you should bare in mind that I have not examined you and thus it is very difficult to say with certainty that no further treatment is required!