Fractured tibiaFreactures tibia

Patient : I fractured my tibia just about 5 weeks ago and had a plate with 8 screws put in, I went to the hospitals fracture clinic and the doctor said it hasn't started to heal yet,but the physio said to put ice to try and reduce swelling around my ankle, could applying ice slow my bone healing as it's making my foot and leg very cold, I smoke and have been taking calcium tablet every day, I'd really appreciate any comments Martin
Symptoms:  I walk to the kitchen and roller with no crutches but if I leave the house I talk mycrutches