Frequent cold sores

Patient

Q: I have tried, it seems, everything the internet has to offer, most helpful being lysine once a day. But I still get coldsores at least three times a year. What can I do? Should I see my doctor?

Doctor

A:   I know how concerned and uncomfortable you are about cold sores. Cold sores are blisters on the lips and the edge of the mouth that are caused by an infection with the herpes simplex virus (HSV).
After you become infected, HSV remains in your body and may cause cold sores to return throughout your lifetime (recurrent cold sores). Most people have 1 to 12 outbreaks a year but have fewer outbreaks as they get older. It is documented that stress, excessive exposure to sun, allergies, other virus like cold and flu might trigger new episodes of cold sores.
I agree that Lysine might be helpful, however there are other topical treatments I would suggest you like Antivirals who will shorten the duration of cold sores and decrease your pain, if started very early like Acyclovir (Zovirax), Famciclovir (Famvir) and Valacyclovir (Valtrex). I wish you a prompt recovery.