Frequent unrinating

Q: I have moved to northern australia to work outside in hot conditions, 37 degrees. i am drinking about 5-6 liters of water a day, but having to go to the loo at least every hour. and the other workers hardly go at all. we sweat alot and they said something must be wrong with me because your body should absorb it and sweat it out. any ideas if there is something wrong with me?? I generally go to the loo more often and have noticed it over the last couple years. someone has said diabeties or kidney infection.

A:   I understand your concern about urinating excessively. Let me reassure you that in my opinion for the volume of fluids that you are taking daily (5-6 liters), urinating frequently would be totally normal. Your kidneys would retain only the necessary fluid and get rid of the excess, and since the body needs 1.5 to 2 liters of water daily plus the excess that you are losing in your sweat, you might be totally normal.
Certainly diabetes causes increased first and urination; however there are also other signs such as increased appetite. If there is a history of diabetes in your family, I would suggest you to screen for diabetes but is not urgency at the moment. I wish you the best.