Frequent Urinary Tract Infections

Q: I am a 20 year old, very healthy individual. I had 14 UTIs in 09 and I am now on my 5th one this year. I take Macrobid daily, and take all the precautions while having sex and other hygiene means. I take a high dose of cranberry supplements and drink 100%juice daily. I even got a UTI while I was not having sex for a month period. I do not have multiple partners, and my paps come back normal. I do not have PID (which they checked for because it hurts so bad during intercourse) and now I have a urologist appointment on Tuesday, and I would like to know if I should ask anything specific. I was seen 3 months ago and my kidneys looked normal, but this discomfort is not and I hate having to interrupt my personal life for something that should be fixable. Thanks so much in advance!

A:   It is not normal to have that many UTIs. Your urologist willl surely conduct a very thorough physical examination as well as take a detailed medical history. He may also order a number of test to look for possible explanations for your frequent infections. At this time there is nothing specific you need to ask. Allow him/her to do the necessary investigations to come up with a diagnosis.