Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Frequent urination and water drinking

Frequent urination and water drinking

Patient: I drink lots of water and urinate frequently when I am at home. But when I am at school, I don’t have such problem. I have checked my blood glucose level in some mornings, and the figures were all normal. Could this be something else other than diabetes? Thank you.

Symptoms: Frequent urination, drink lots of water

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that your frequent urination while at home is directly related to water cons umption. Excessive water consumption triggers the suppression of a hormone which is responsible for water retention. Therefore, your kidneys will secrete a larger amount of water keep your body in fluid homeostasis. If this starts to occur when you are at school and more frequent, please see your doctor.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com