Frequent UTIs - Will the flare ups and pain ever go away?

Q: Hello,
I'm a 19 year old female and I've been dealing with UTIs for a few years now, usually getting them three to four times a year. I've noticed my patterns of getting them were usually during menstruation, after being sexual active, and holding a full bladder for too long, so I've been careful in my actions to keep them away. My Mother is also prone to them and taught me what to do when I feel one coming on. Once I feel a slight burn when I go I increase my water intake, take two cranberry supplements, and take a urinary pain reliever. Sometimes I can knock them right out when the pain flares up for a few hours and they go away by the next morning. Other times, the pain, burning, and urgency would be too much to handle after two or three days and I would go for a urine sample and receive antibiotics from my walk-in clinic.

This time around, it caught me by surprise. I'm quite diligent now to keep them at bay and haven't been sexually active in over half a year, but this time sprung on me. I've had the similar burning, stinging, urgency, and foul smelling/cloudy urine that I always known and quickly did my usual steps: Lots of water, two cranberry supplements, two urinary pain relievers, and emptying my bladder every hour. The burning was the same typical feeling and I figured it was another UTI all over again.

Strangely, the pain and burning went away in a night and I thought I conquered it. However, the urgency stayed and foul smelling/cloudy urine stayed. I continued to take my cranberry supplements, taking one extra to help and keeping my water intake high. Now today, three days into the ordeal, the pain has returned with a horrible vengeance. I've become almost numb in my lower abdomen with a harsh, burning, throbbing pain and can't see to calm it down with anything, urinary pain relievers, supplements, continued emptying of the bladder, nothing! Nothing seems to get it to ease at all. I've hardly been able to leave the toilet for more than fifteen mins without running back, emptying nothing, and sitting in pain to almost tears.

I've decided to go to my walk-in later today to receive some antibiotics, but I'm concerned.

Why would the pain and burning fade and all the other symptoms stay? Why did the pain suddenly come back worse than two days earlier? Is there something else wrong? Is this normal?
Is it normal to be having this many and is there anyway to deter them for longer? Is it because my Mother also has them frequently?

-In pain and hoping for some insight and minor relief! Thanks!

Symptoms:  Burning/Stinging/Throbbing Pain, Urgency to use bathroom, Foul smelling/Cloudy urine, Muscle aches, Aches and numbness in lower abdomen, Mild pain in lower back