Friday March 31 I woke up vomiting and runny nose

Patient: Friday March 31 I woke up vomiting and runny n lose bowels with stomach pain. I am currently unable to keep any food or liquid down (severe pain upon vomiting). I’ve been diagnosed with GERD/ACID REFLUX. These current symptoms are not like any of the previous bouts related to gerd/acid reflux.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Yes, these symptoms are not related to GERD/ acid reflux.Rather you have developed an acute gastroenteritis, mostly a bacterial infection.I will advise you to consult your physician and start on an antibiotic course. A good choice antibiotic would be Tab. Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for 3-5 days, depending on the severity or Tab. Metronidazole 400 mg thrice daily for 3-5 days. You should also take probiotic capsules twice daily till the symptoms subside. If there is a lof of loose stool, Cap. Loperamide can be taken SOS to reduce the frequency. Tab. Ondansetron 4 mg thrice daily before food will help in preventing any further vomiting.Besides, you also need to continue your medication for acid reflux.Hope this was helpful,Regards