FSH Levels and Fertility After Chemotherapy

Patient

Q: I was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia in 2005, when I was 23 years old. I had a t-cell depleted bone marrow transplant in 2006 from an unrelated donor and have not had any complications since then. The chemotherapy and radiation caused me to go through menopause early. In 2010, my FSH level was 71 and in 2014 it was 43 with normal estradiol levels at 163. Is the fact that my FSH levels are decreasing a good sign indicating the potential for increased fertility? How can I increase my changes of conceiving naturally in the future? Is there even a possibility that the menopause is only temporary and my body will go back to normal?

Symptoms:  Fertility
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.
The chances for the body to go back to normal are meek. You may still start getting your menstrual cycle with decreased levels of FSH levels & normal estradiol levels, but the damage done to the eggs because of the chemotherapy is rather permanent & the chances for you to conceive naturally maybe remote. If the number of the reserve eggs has gone down because of chemotherapy, then the menopause will occur sooner. Chemo damage is done to the eggs, not the surrounding cells. These cells can be replaced, but the eggs cannot be replaced. So once the damage is done, there's no going back. The best option would be to opt for a gestational surrogate to carry the pregnancy in order to avoid potential harm by the pregnancy to your body & use of eggs from a donor of young age in the reproductive years.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.