Full Body Itchy Rash- Nothing Seems to Helps

Patient

Q: Hi. I have an extremely itchy rash that has spread to all of my back, chest, stomach, arms, neck and eyelids. I have no idea what it can be. The doctor put me on Prednisone as well as an itch medicine, which cleared up the rash completely after the fourth day. What a relief! However, after finishing the prescription, the rash came back.

It has only been four days since I finished the prescribed treatment. The doc said it's not an infection because there is no puss. But I have no idea what it could be and admittedly, neither does he. Gluten? Heat rash? I did not brush up against poison ivy or poison oak, and years prior to this conundrum, my ring hand would break out and itch due to a nickel allergy. I am a 5'2, 31 year old female who unfortunately, is obese. Thank you for any input you can give, because calamine lotion and Benadryl just aren't cutting it.

Symptoms:  Tiny bumps that itch and burn at times on chest, stomach, back, upper and lower arms, neck, eyelids and back of ears.
Doctor

A:   In case the distribution of your rashes is mainly along the skin folds, Scabies should be considered as a possibility. It has a very specific pattern of distribution and a very specific therapy. Hence, you should visit a Dermatologist and get this possibility ruled out first. If proved, the treatment will give you instant and long term relief. Importantly, if any other member of your family or friend is also suffering from a similar condition, take them along for evaluation as well.