Functional Ovarian Cyst

Patient

Q: I been having pain in my lower abdomen for 2 months last month i went from dr to dr and found out i have a ct on the right ovary. that was 5cm. this month i went to the dr again and there is 2 cyst now and the dr. said the 5cm is not there anymore. went and got another ultrasound sone this month and there are 2 cyst now one is 4.5 and the other is 3.9cm there are low level echoes within them i like to know wat low level's mean. there is some vascular flow along the border but no vascular flow is identified within the center what does that mean too.

Doctor

A:   Most ovarian cysts are functional cysts. Ovaries contain follicles that produce the hormones estrogen and progesterone and release an egg during ovulation. Sometimes these follicles keep on growing and forms cysts. There are two types of functional cysts, follocular and corpus luteum cyst. Treatment of a fuctional cyst depends on your age, the type and size of your cyst, and your symptoms. Your doctor may suggest watchful waiting, birth control pills or surgery. I wish you well, take care.