Fungal Scalp Infection

Patient

Q: Category: Dermatology

Hi there,

I am a 35 year-old male. I have fungal scalp infection on the upper section part of my head. It is not like a ringworm shape, it is covers a large section. The skin colour is red (not itchy) because of the infection. The hair loss started nearly six months ago, but I could not realise it is due the infection until 3 weeks ago. So far, I have almost lost half of my hair (in the infection region). My GP prescribed Ketoconazalo shampoo 3 weeks ago, but it has no effect at all, the infection is still spreading. My question is

- Shall I use Canesten cream (active element is Clotrimazole)?
- Will the hair I lost grow back after the infection is cleared?

Many thanks for your answer

Doctor